In this article I am going to take a look at converting the Khador Mortar artillery model. I am not a big fan of the mortar model because it doesn’t shout Iron Kingdoms to me. Although I realise it is pretty historically accurate as a model I would like to modernise the mortar a bit and still try to keep it looking like a Khadorian weapon.
To do this I used the bombard off an old metal Destroyer to get that Khadorian look. I gave the bombard a base plate and a bi-pod to make look a bit more modern. Here is how I went about converting the mortar.
- Classic Khador Destroyer Bombard arm.
- Brass rod (I used 1mm diameter rod).
- Brass tube (various sizes that will best slot into one another and around the brass rod).
- Nut or washer.
- Scrap plastic tubing and plasti-card.
- Resin cast handle bit from Zinge Industries.
First of all I needed to hack away at the old Destroyer Bombard. The jack arm was sawn off with a razor saw. The magazine was also removed but required a little more careful cutting with the saw to keep the riveted edging.
The old arm joint was tidied up with a file. The place where the magazine located took more effort to clear up. I wanted to use this location to house the bi-pod. A Dremal or similar power tool would probably make this easier. But if you don’t have one here is what I did.
- Drill lots of closely spaced holes across the area to be removed.
- I also drilled perpendicular to the first set of holes too.
- Using a craft knife remove the drilled material.
Keep the edges neat, but it doesn’t matter about the main surface as that will mostly be hidden.
The bi-pod was simply short sections of brass tube that slotted into one another attached to a length of brass rod which was pinned into the bombard. The brass tube gives the legs that telescopic look.
The feet were made by cutting a short section of plastic tube in half and drilling a hole for the brass rod of the leg to pass through.
For the base plate I went rummaging in the garage looking for a suitable washer. I came back with a square nut, a very shiny nut, I don’t do much DIY lol. I do think that a suitably sized washer would work better especially with some details added. However I couldn’t find one but the nut worked OK. I just stuck some small pieces of plasticard on it to represent bolts.
Finishing touches… I added a short section of rod and a handle for a bit of interest and to hide some of the poor metal cutting from earlier. Maybe it traverses the mortar or adjusts elevation to allow aiming.
I built two Mortars in this fashion, and while I like the crewman with the telescope I really do not like the crewman with the swab/rammer aiming the original mortar. So I have stolen the crewman carrying a shell from the Field Gun. I hope using this model as the crew for the mortar adds to the modern look. As he looks like he about to drop the shell into the muzzle of the mortar. Of course I am going to have to do some converting of the Field Gun and crew next.